Smudging is a dual purpose cleansing ritual. It has traditionally been used to cleanse negativity and now also has been proven to cleanse the air of certain pathogens.
Here's how I do it:
- I always find it helpful to set an intention, say a little prayer, and thank the plants (do whatever you feel comfortable doing here).
- Crack a window or door.
- Light the sage until it has smoke emitting in a constant stream blow it out quickly if it catches afire. The tips of the leaves should smolder slowly, releasing thick smoke.
- Direct this smoke around your body and space with one hand while holding the bundle in the other. Allow the smoke to linger on the areas of your body or surroundings you’d like to focus on. Using a fan or feather can also help direct the smoke, though this is optional and cultural.
- Collect ash in fireproof ceramic bowl or shell.
- Make sure your smudge stick is completely extinguished by dabbing the lit end into a small bowl or sand.